How does Stellar compare to Bitcoin?
The main differences between Stellar and Bitcoin are the following:
- Stellar is based on a consensus algorithm rather than mining. This means transactions confirm in a few seconds.
- The supply of stellar increases at a fixed rate of 1% a year.
- Stellar aims to let you transact in your currency of choice (fiat or digital).
The hope is that the stellar currency itself will be mostly a behind-the-scenes currency, and that the Stellar network will help provide more liquidity between currencies.
Do you have information about Stellar in other languages?
Our community members have been translating information about Stellar into numerous languages. (Note: We are not 100% certain of the accuracy of these translations since we do not speak all of these languages):
- Portuguese by Mercado Bitcoin
- Vietnamese (not affilated with us)
- Russian Launch Post ( by Pavel Kravchenko), Mandate (by Vasily Bryantsev) andFAQs (by Sergey Yusupov)
- German Mandate by Yannic
- Ukrainian Mandate by Pavel Kravchenko
What are the fees for a transaction?
To prevent spam, each transaction burns 10 microstellars (that is, 0.00001 stellars). This can result in what looks like an uneven balance in your Stellar account. We’ve done our best to smooth this out in the UI, but we’re still working on the ideal experience (and would welcome feedback on the route we’ve chosen). The $USD value of 10 microstellars as of January 2015 is approximately one two-hundred-thousandths of a penny.
Why is there a minimum balance?
Minimum balances help protect the network from the creation of spam accounts. You can fund an account by sending 20 STR to it, or by claiming rewards from the Stellar Development Foundation. Unfunded accounts cannot establish trust lines; each trust line requires a 5 STR reserve in addition to the 20 STR minimum balance. To establish trust lines with three gateways, a user must retain a 35 STR balance in reserve, for example: min balance 20 STR + (5 STR * 3 gateways) = 35 STR reserve.
Why do I need to authenticate with Facebook to receive my stellars?
In short, Facebook was the easiest way for us to get started with stellar distribution — it gives us an easy way to avoid people claiming stellar rewards many times. We know not everyone has a Facebook account, and over time, we hope to add additional channels. Please see our mandate for additional details.
How does Stellar store my password?
Stellar doesn’t store any record of your password on its servers. Your password is used to encrypt your secret key which allows you to access your account. The secret key is encrypted and decrypted ONLY on the user’s side, not our servers. Only the encrypted key is stored on Stellar servers. This means that Stellar cannot send you your password if you lose it, because we do not have access to that data. However, you do have the option to enable password recovery, which will give you access your account via a recovery code even if you forget your password.
How can I protect myself from phishing?
Read the articles on our Help Desk about phishing and account security. If you think you are being “phished,” please report the attempt to:
- Your email provider
- The appropriate social media platform
- Google’s Safe Browsing Project
You may also report phishing sites and emails to the Stellar Development Foundation by emailing phishing(at)stellar(dot)org.
How do I delete my wallet?
Navigate to the settings page in the client and click “Delete account.” You will have the opportunity to transfer your balance to another wallet. Once deleted, this action cannot be undone. For more detail on the delete and merge accounts feature, read our Help Desk article on the topic.
What could I build on top of the Stellar protocol?
There are too many possibilities to name, so here are a few things that people are asking for the most:
- More gateways in more currencies
- Mobile and trading clients
- Merchant plugin
Longer list of ideas can be found here. We will make an interactive wishlist soon.
Still have questions?
These knowledge center articles may have the answers you seek:
- What is Stellar?
- Why am I stuck on “loading” when I verify my account?
- Why do I need to authenticate with Facebook to receive my stellars?
- Why does my client log me out on refresh?
- How do I change my password?
- How can I protect myself from fake sites?
- How can I prevent my account from being compromised?
- How can I prevent phishing?
- What is Stellar 恒星是什么?
- Why am I stuck on “loading” when I verify my account 为什么在修改账户时卡在loading状态?
- Why do I need to authenticate with Facebook to receive my stellars 为什么接收恒星币要验证Facebook帐号?
- Why does my client log me out on refresh 为什么刷新页面就退出?
- How do I change my password 我如何修改密码?
- How can I protect myself from fake sites 我如何保护自己远离虚假网站?
- How can I prevent my account from being compromised 我怎样才能防止泄露我的帐户?
- How can I prevent phishing 我如何防御钓鱼?